Thursday, May 21, 2009

Matt and Camp Redcloud


2009 Lake City, Colorado  4551_108734230469_518660469_3094107_7532700_nn518660469_3094104_4801325

                                                              The Ropes

4551_108734175469_518660469_3094099_4207985_n n518660469_3094100_5431398n518660469_3094103_8297215  n518660469_3094105_4789068

P1020540 P1020541 P1020538-1 P1020539


P1020526 P1020519 P1020536-1 P1020534

P1020531    These pictures are of Camp Redcloud.  Inside is Matt’s bunkhouse.  He was the first to arrive so he was able to set up his area just the way he wanted it..

 P1020543P1020545P1020544  P1020514

These are photos of mine and Pat’s cabin in Lake City. 


These are pictures that I took as we were leaving Lake City at 6:00 a.m.  The first moose I have ever seen in Colorado.


Pat, Matt and I arrived in Lake City Saturday afternoon.  We stopped on the way in Trinidad, Colorado.  I loved seeing that red chevy truck following us in the rear view mirror all the way there.  As soon as we checked into our cabin, we went to checkout Redcloud and help Matt unload his stuff.  That was fun and he was able to get first dibs on the clothes wardrobe, bed location and the best mattress.  After we got him unloaded we went back to our cabin and grilled out.  The next day we drove to Gunnison for some lunch out on the patio as the weather was absolutely perfect. 

As we were leaving on Friday morning, Matt mentioned that his throat was hurting.  I figured it was allergies and told him so.  Well, Sunday morning when he arrived at the cabin after staying overnight at Redcloud he showed me his throat!  Ew!  Not pretty.  So, I thought we needed to find a doctor.  God provided a clinic in Lake City that was opened on Sunday afternoons from 2:00 to 4:00.  We got him an appointment right away and he did have strep!  God knew just what we needed and that this mom here would have been worried if I had to leave him without medical care.    After the doctor’s appointment, we three went to the store to get Matt a fishing rod.  This is also where we said our goodbyes.  Gosh, it was rough and I cried for two days.  I am better now as he is happy and loving it already.  He does say that he is still homesick.

Pat and I left the next morning early to head home and we decided to drive straight through.  We were depressed and just ready to get home.  Leaving Lake City knowing that we were leaving Matt just broke my heart! 

The only way that we can communicate is through Facebook.  He has a phone card, but he hasn’t used it and there is no cell service at all.  Twice this week, including tonight, I am having to stay up past 11:00 to chat with him. 

I will try to keep you updated on Matt and his summer. His buddy, Sam, will be joining him in a few weeks.  Matt has already made some good friends, but is looking forward to Sam arriving.  Today Matt was dumped in the Rio Grande as part of the adventure training.  He has to know how to deal with hypothermia and be able to administer CPR.  I am glad I didn’t know ahead of time about this training.  He has also been doing a lot of training on the ropes.  I love reading his “status” on Facebook as he usually shares what he has been up to. 

What gives me joy is that he says he already feels God’s presence and his overwhelmed by this beautiful country and this awesome camp.  I ask that you pray for Matt while he is gone.  Next week he will be training as well and then the campers start arriving.  That website is if you want to read more about it..  We are so proud of Matt and know that God is going to do some exciting things in his life while in Colorado.  Thank you again to those who have support this trip financially and with prayer!



Post a Comment